Events & Schedule
Photo Gallery
Contact Us


St. Luke's began as a mission Sunday School that was associated with St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The Sunday School was first formed in 1899. The school grew to include families as well and in 1904, request was made to have the group that had been gathering recognized as a parish. The result was St. Luke's Episcopal Church.

The original church building, which has commonly been called the "Little Brown Church" was located on the near north side of Des Moines at 1525 8th Street. It was physically moved from its original location to its current location at 3424 Forest in 1926. In 1961, the original building was demolished to make room for a new building. A major renovation project took place in 1985, and additional remodeling and renovations were completed in 1995 and 1998.

The 100th anniversary for St. Luke's Sunday School was celebrated in 1999 with a parade on Sunday morning,  August 29, 1999. Parish members walked, rode, and marched from St. Paul's Church downtown to St. Luke's.

As we move into the new decade, St. Luke's is a thriving and growing parish, including approximately 190 families with 404 baptized members.

The St. Luke's congregation continues to grow in numbers and endeavors to fulfill its mission of enlarging the Kingdom of God through our common witness and teaching the truth of Christ.


The Rev. Martha R. Kester – Rector


Katherine Langan – Senior Warden

TBD – Junior Warden

Susan Mathison – Clerk

Members – term expiring in:

2025 – Katherine Langan, Susan Mathison, Dash Kelley

2026 - Jack Bell, Becca Tish, Norma Wright

2027 – Jim McLallen, Shirley Pack

Welcome    Events & Schedule    Resources    Photo Gallery    Youth    Contact Us   
Copyright © 2019 St. Lukes Episcopal Church
Web Design by DWebware